Drew's Story - under construction

Monday, September 11, 2017

Where is God?

There is always so much devastation in the world, and in America right now, it seems obnoxious.  The aftermath from Hurricane Harvey and now we begin to see the aftermath of Hurricane Irma.  The wildfires not getting as much coverage, but creating just as much devastation in the West.  As we see the shocked faces of the people who have lost all their worldly possessions, and the sorrow of those that have lost even more...



...its easy to wonder where God is.  Just like I've been tempted to wonder as I see the suffering of another innocent, brave child who fought this beast that is cancer. Whose family I've followed over the last year and quoted on my last post, and this week had to say, "see you later" to their precious baby girl.  And another family in my church experiencing the sudden death of their 14 year old son and brother. Both joining our family in the longing for a member that is never coming home. 

This kind of stuff shakes us all, the human suffering, from things totally out of their control, and it should.  It should make us all evaluate our priorities and examine our beliefs.  Because any one of those things could happen to us, and there's nothing we can do about it.

But what we also are seeing in these troubling times, is the outpouring of love.  The "helpers" as Mr Rodger's famously points out: "If you look for the helpers, you will know that there is hope"



People seem to be blown away by the kindness of others.  By the self-less aid given to those that are truly in need.  I've heard multiple times now what seems as surprise in the tone of the news reporters at the good still left in the world, despite the politics going on in this country.  Some are even in tears!  They seem just as astonished that in some, there is still a sense of joy, which is not the same as happiness, which overcomes such dire circumstances. 

But I'm not surprised.  I have seen--experienced--this outpouring of love during a very different, yet equally devastating time in my life.  I've watched as my friends rearranged their lives to help.  Friends and family came, leaving their own families, from across America to stay with us and help.  From Iowa, Michigan, Colorado, New Orleans, and Kansas City.  To be with Molly or Drew, clean my house, organize my cupboards, and fill my freezer...

Not to mention those local that would welcome Molly with open arms at minutes of notice, sometimes indefinitely, as we rushed Drew to the ER or St Mary's...

My eyes have filled up with tears as people generously gave us the money they'd saved all year for charitable giving at Christmas time.  Or organized fundraisers and benefits with their own time, energy and resources.

I've seen the concern in the eyes of mere acquaintances who could honestly have brushed me off without it being too socially awkward, but chose to listen, to care.  People who threw home business parties to benefit our family, or participated in meal chains for us (which went out for months after Drew died) or brought food to me for long hospital stays...


We thoroughly enjoyed fun things people put together for us-- like organizing a 12 days of Christmas drop off each morning before December 25th, or bringing gifts over for the kids Christmas week, and even arranging a sleigh ride and visit from Santa himself!



Instead of watching the imagines, listening to the stories these last couple weeks in wonder, what I'm really wondering is why, why, it takes such tragedy for the good to come out??  Why do people have to be at the end of their rope, completely helpless before people help, and we care about each other?  Unfortunately, I think it takes the tragedy to break through the veil this world has over the eyes of so many.  It uncovers the light of God in so many of us, that for whatever reason we've allowed to be covered.  It gets us angry enough, determined enough to not let this world win, to get into the fight.

Where is God?  He's right there.  He IS the light, the goodness that comes out in others.  In the love and the care; in the joy and the hope in the survivors and helpers. Through the tragedy we see Him and what he has to offer--Love.  Joy.  Peace.  Care.  We just have to accept it.

I have never felt more at peace, more loved, more cared for, than this last 18 months.  And I think maybe that could be one reason why God allows all the disasters.  How God can stand to see His children suffer in this fallen world.  Because of a lot of theology that I won't get into, but also because He knows He can use it to show Himself to others.  To save people from an eternity without any of the good.   He can fulfill His promise to us that He'll use all things for good, even things as ugly as childhood cancer, catastrophic storms, and blazing forest fires.  It wasn't His plan, and I believe He cries with us at the tragedy.  It breaks His heart more than we know.  But in His wisdom, He uses this fallen world to gather more to Himself.

We hope that kids dying from cancer, and hurricanes drowning people in their homes, and wildfires consuming all that a person has on Earth wouldn't be a part of our reality.  But it is.  And again, there's a lot of theology as to why, but the good news that has been trying to spread for two thousand years, is that we can overcome this world.  We just have to choose Him. There is hope for a day when the goodness we see in others during the storms of this life will be all that exists.  Won't that be the day!

And once you get that, once it truly sinks in who God is, and what he has to offer--that's when the thankfulness, and then the true joy comes.  When you realize your place in life, how much control we don't have, you developed a trust in the One that does have control--and due to your trust in Him, you experience a peace, a joy that goes beyond what your mind can understand.

One news person reported with almost confusion a lady pulling a floaty with the last of her possessions,  with a smile on her face.  How can she be smiling?  She said because she's alive.  It could be worse.  She's found true joy that goes beyond her circumstances.  The same kind of joy that I had, even as my son's hand grew cold in mine, on that last day we had together.  I wasn't happy, obviously, and I doubt that lady pulling her possessions was either.  But it is possible to have peace because you know it'll be okay.  It won't be easy, but there is hope for better days ahead.

Until those days come, we can be the light for others.  During these tragedies, and in our everyday.  How much of a difference would that make?  How wonderful would it be if we didn't need the devastating events to expose the goodness, the helpers, but we just did it instead?  Like God showed me last week--helping others is a way to not only aid those that need it, but to help ourselves feel real joy, and have peace too, whatever is going on in our own world.

After first hand experiencing a catastrophic loss myself,  I have been shown exactly where I stand in life, and how much control I really have. I'm grateful that I have seen, and therefore know the goodness in the world.  I can look forward to a forever of that warm feeling I've felt as food was dropped off at my house by people I barely know, as friends said, "I'll be there, I'll make it work" on a day I couldn't face alone, and the undeniable love transferred from a good, genuine hug (I'm coming around ;) ). 

And I can be so thankful today that my Drew already exists in that forever.  He will never feel the hurt, the disappointment, the fear and the grief of this world another minute, but only feels the good.  He, and the children of those other families, will never have to endure a disaster like the ones we've witness in this country over the last couple weeks.  Or feel the devastating blow of disappointment like I have felt.  He can laugh and run and play and sing all day long, doing all the things he loves to do.  Praise God, and I can't wait to join you buddy!




1 comment:

  1. You are like a shining light Heidi! You give us all hope and I thank you for that. Drew was and is a blessing to all of us and so is his mommy. God Bless you Heidi Becker...hugs

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note on what this means to you!